Over the last few weeks I have been looking for gaps in my kit. I know this is true when I spend more time looking through buy/sell forums than reading about great photographers and their stories, looking through and editing photos and actually going out and taking photos.
The current line-up includes:
- Ricoh GR (APS-C): 28mm and 21mm adaptor
- Sony RX1r (Full frame): 35mm f/2
- Canon Canonet QL17 GIII (Film): 40mm f/1.7
- Leica M9 (Full frame): 50mm Summicron and 75mm Summarit
- (not pictured) Sony NEX 7 (APS-C): 18-55mm, 20mm pancake, 35mm f/1.8
These are all fun cameras to work with, but the one gap I see is the spot for a system camera. As far as formats are concerned I think I would be happy with anything from m4/3 to APS-C to full frame, but definitely a mirror-less system. The Fuji XT1 and Olympus EM1 are both strong contenders and high on my list. The NEX 7 has proven to be a workhorse for me, but I’m not really happy with Sony’s lens offerings. The Fuji and Olympus systems have a nice compliment of lenses both primes and zooms and both systems receive great praise from photographers.
The most likely scenerio is that I’ll dump the NEX 7 this summer and find a suitable replacement. We’ll see.