With this camera it is unlikely that anyone would use the jpegs straight out of the camera. Even so, it is interesting to take a look at what you’d get if you chose to use them for a quick post or perhaps you’re working with a device that does not support the Quattro’s raw X3F files, like the iPad.
Based on my use of the camera so far here are a couple points I’ve noticed about the Quattro’s jpegs:
- The color balance, especially in mixed artificial light seems to be off a bit when shooting in AWB.
- There is a tendency to underexpose images by up to a full stop.
- Some of the images have a slight yellow-ish cast to them.
- Resolution seems to hold up quite well. There’s even a resolution mode if you’re shooting jpeg only that allows you to capture 39MP images.
- Highlights clip a little sooner than with the X3F files.
For me, I’m going to spend the extra time to edit and play around with the raw files, because it is a part of the hobby I enjoy, but if you’re in a situation where that’s not an option, I don’t think you’ll be let down.